After reading the definition of non-critical-thinking as,
"nothing inherently wrong with non-critical-thinking," standards it
opened a new door into why people act the way they do. I thought that popularity
was just something that other people worried about. It is actually just a way
of non-critical-thinking. It is not bad but it is not a progressive way of
thinking. I have always tried to be a very reasonable person, always looking at
both sides of the coin. I also have a conceded side that I now can label a non-critical-thinking
side which is that I strive to be good at volleyball.
To be a
reasonable person you have to be able to put arguments aside and say things
differently in order to see everything from a different set of eyes. At the
first look, it is always hard to see the other persons side of the story and to
put ourselves in their shoes. This is an important critical-thinking standard
to me because I would want someone else to do the same. I don't want to be
looked down upon by others just because they don't understand the point of view
I have. Also the opposite is true, I
don't want to look down upon someone just because I don't always see where they
are coming from. The best way to see from the other persons’ shoes is to ask
them non-argumentative questions and not talk down to them because we
automatically think they are wrong.
In
order to be a reasonable person one also has to have the ability to put all pre-conceived
notions aside. People have a bad
tendency to tell others all the negative qualities of a different person. For
example, if someone has a slight tendency to over-exaggerate the truth they are
labeled a liar. That person might be a hard worker, responsible, and could also
be funny. If the negative qualities are what you go on before you meet a person
then you are not being reasonable towards that person. Being a reasonable
person is important to me because you only make your own judgments of people
and you are more likely to be able to avoid an argument because you are able to
see it from the other side. Being a reasonable person is my Dr. Jekyll but my
Mr. Hyde side comes out in my sports.
I have
been playing volleyball ever since I was out of college. It is how I met the
love of my life, my loving wife, Kim. It has been a part of my life and even
our marriage. I am very aggressive when it comes to playing volleyball. I have
a tendency to exploit others weaknesses, like not being able to pass well or
being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I am not a reasonable person while
on the court. I am rash to think, “why didn't that person see where the hitter
was going to hit the ball”, like I did or, “I would have spiked the ball better
when a set doesn't come to me.” The critical thinking side of me is on the
sidelines. My ability and my aggressiveness for sports is on the court.
It is
not always a bad thing to have the ability for sports, but I think there is an
aspect that could be better because of critical thinking. If I was to be more
reasonable on the court, I would be more concerned with how I can be a better
play than why someone else is not doing what I would do. I think
critical-thinking could be applied in most situations of non-critical-thinking
and would be better for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment