Thursday, March 21, 2019

A641.1.3.RB_MullBrandon

What is Great Leadership?

Great leadership in my opinion is someone who inspires me to do my best. During my task, whatever I'm doing, I want to think of that person and say what would they do or what would they think if I showed this to them.. During the video, I thought of several people who have inspired me to be better than myself, to do a better job for someone else.

Contrastingly, I thought of several people who would be put into that category of shouldn’t be in management. I thought of those managers that have the ability to enter into a situation and everyone groans. Being a part of the Lean Facilitators of my company, there are both sets of people, great leaders and disappointing leaders. Great leaders are those that a group of trained and certified Lean Facilitator see in their group charter and think, oh good someone else I can count on. A great leader doesn't have to stand out in their diverse knowledge or come up with the best ideas. A great leader is someone you can count on when the work needs doing.
A distasteful leader is the one who is getting the group sidetracked on their own person problems. A distasteful leader always has a problem but never has the answer and is always wanting someone to come up with a solution. However, they are never happy with the solution.
One of the aspects of a great leader that I find to be the best quality is “compassion”(Boyatzis & McKee, 2005). I think compassion can mean a lot things but one of the most important to me is compassion for learning. A great leader needs to understand they don't have all the answers, they are not the smartest person in the room. Great leaders will always learn from others and let others express their ideas.

Of all the ideas that I came up with for great leaders, a lot of the concepts came from continuously learning. A great leader will continuously learn. Leaders who think they know everything have no compassion.”Leadership requires learning”(Campbell,2018). Without learning and adapting to new and ever changing environment, a leader will grow stale even if they started out as a great leader. “Compassionate leaders possess the modesty to continually seek feedback under the belief system they can only grow their team to the extent they grow themselves”(Campbell,2018). A leader can’t inspire or continuously be great if they themselves cannot grow.

References
Boyatzis, R. E., & McKee, A. (2005). Resonant leadership. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Campbell, S. (2018, March 15). 7 Inspiring Traits of Compassionate Leadership. Retrieved from https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/310391

No comments:

Post a Comment