I don’t think that
there is a good answer to the old question of, “Do citizens has a right to bear
arms?” The question has too many implications and too many slippery slope
answers. I think there was good proposition in Chapter 12, LaFollette (2007).
“A Third Way” is about
having the owner be more responsible for their guns (LaFollette 2007). I think
that there is too little responsibility for guns. The people who own guns
should have to go through training classes and must provide proof of a storage
container. There are too many children that have access to guns that can really
hurt or kill themselves and others. I have heard too many times on the news that
a child was playing with a fire arm and it went off. There is no reason or
excuse for that, only lack of respect for the weapon. I don’t agree with
LaFollette’s opinion that the owner of the gun is responsible for the actions
of the gun. There are too many situations where this rule can go wrong. If
someone child steals their gun and goes killing in the school, that parent is
financially responsible for all those kids? Kids will get into anything when
they try hard enough, if the gun is locked up tight with no access it won’t be
of any use if there is an emergency that requires a gun.
As an avid gun owner, I
find it too easy to swap and trade guns with other people. There needs to be a
requirement for someone owning a gun. Maybe it could be on your licenses, that
you have the proper training and education about guns to own one. I have gotten
a gun from a coworker without any documentation. There isn’t any verification
that my coworker could have requested to know that I knew how to handle a gun.
In the UK there is a
ban on hand guns, decades ago it was banned and it is only recently that it has
seen real fruit. It is working but it took a long time. “The real problem, of
course, is that no one knows just how many guns are out there on the streets”.
There is a problem with knowing who has a gun. I think this is the base
argument for letting people have a gun but educate people if they want to own.
I don’t think we placed enough emphasis on education of gun handling. People
don’t know what a gun can actually do to a human body. It’s all movies and prop
blood, people need to see the damage a 9mm or 20mm bullet can do.
David Barnett
@davidmbarnett. (2017, December 17). Firearms Act: Twenty years on, has it made
a difference? Retrieved from
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/firearms-act-twenty-years-on-has-it-made-a-difference-dunblane-port-arthur-a8110911.html.
No comments:
Post a Comment