Sunday, April 14, 2019

A641.4.3.RB - Tipping Points of Emotional Intelligence



I have recently started doing certification on aircraft engine components. Completing the documentation FAA 8130/EASA Form 1, for release of an aircraft engine components after an overhaul or repair. This was a major undertaking for me. The documentation of the repairs/work performed was not the difficult part. The tipping point was the unnecessary additional information the customer wanted on their certification documents.


The customer is always right has been the golden rule since the dawn of time. When a customers want something, even if it’s unnecessary, they want it and they are going to get it. On certifications, customers want additional information like dimensions, last engine operator, 3rd party customer information, the type of paint used, and my personal favorite which is where it’s being shipped to. All this information is required by the customer to be on the legal documentation of an 8130 because they asked for it once and now it has to be on there every time, even if the customer didn’t provide the information I am responsible for it. I have to stop and ask for it. If I misspell anything, get any additional information wrong or forget to add anything I get a corrective action report (CAR) against me. This CAR is then brought up in meetings with the top facility managers and my manager. I have to have a personal meeting to discuss what I am going to differently to correct this problem. To say this was frustrating is an understatement.


On top of all this I had 3 new people in my cell asking me questions on the induction side of the part. I was trying to get the part out the door while people were asking me how to bring parts into the door. I found the tipping point one day when I had a personal meeting with my boss. He said “if I didn't think you could handle it, I wouldn't have let you struggle through it”. I knew then what I had to do which was to buckle down with no excuses and just do it. This sound cleshay but it was the mental attitude I was in. All the negativity and additional questions were my responsibility and I could handle it when I stopped trying to make excuses.


I changed when I mentally took on my responsibilities correctly. I reviewed my cert’s when I had quiet time to myself with no additional distractions. I found what I was doing wrong and taught myself what needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment