After doing the reflection exercises in the workbook for “Your Wake Up Calls” I found that I have not really had any real destructive routines or situations(McKee, A., Boyatzis, R. E., & Johnston, F. ,2008). In the exercises, we were to reflect on the hard times, our sacrifices syndromes and what we are doing in our defensive routines. I don't think that I have had any extremely hard experiences for an extended period of time that I have become self destructive for long enough to get into a sacrifice syndrome.
During my college classes, I experienced some of the first stages of the sacrifice syndrome. When I
attend college classes, I have a tendency to stop working out. This is one of the first states of knowing “Where I Am” (McKee, A., Boyatzis, R. E., & Johnston, F. ,2008). I know that when I start giving up on working out that I am starting down a stressful path. The time that I normally spend working out is in the mornings. The mornings are also my most creative writing times. The mornings are normally when I can get the most school work done so I give up on working out. I know I feel better when I work out but I know I don't get as much done when I do my school work in the afternoons. I also can't bring myself to workout in the afternoons. This is an example of the “limiting beliefs” I have. The time that I could spend working out then doing my homework is blocked because I tell myself I can’t do both or I don't have enough energy to do both. I continue to tell myself that my college classes won't last forever and I'll start working out when they are over. I need to stop breaking my healthy habits for petty excuses.
The next finding I had for sacrifice is the food that I eat. I tell myself thats its too much effort to cook healthy food when I am stressed. When I am on a normal schedule I will meal prep. After doing the sacrifice exercises, I noticed that I don't care what I eat and when I eat during my sacrifice syndrome. Eating is such an important aspect of a healthy lifestyle. I know that I should eat better but I dont have the time or energy when I am attending college classes or in a sacrifice syndrome.
In closing, I want to continue being mindful. I think that a good way to prevent sacrifice is knowing that it can happen and what it looks like when it does start to happen. I think I will continue to refer to this book in the future to continue to resonate with my life changes. Challenges in life are always right around the next corner. Life will never stop changing so we have to adapt, having the mindfulness to know that you are starting to sacrifice resonance and leadership quality is the start. Knowing is half the battle.
References
McKee, A., Boyatzis, R. E., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader: Develop your emotional intelligence, renew your relationships, sustain your effectiveness. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.
No comments:
Post a Comment